8 Dangerous Foods For Your Dog

Word on the Treats loves having guest authors and this week we are pleased to have Adam write for us. Meet the author, Adam Hossain. As an owner of rottweiler for 10 years, he motivates and encourages people about this lovely breed. He is dedicated to provide you the detailed researched articles about Rottweilers, with an emphasis on Rottweiler health, training, and exercises. He started his journey with RottweilerTime in 2021, and it has come a long way from its beginnings. Enjoy FURiends!

We all love to spoil our pets. Sometimes it's hard to resist that sad puppy face looking up at you when you're eating your favorite snack, hoping for a bite of their own. 

But what if that food isn't as harmless as it seems? Just as a dog cannot tell you that they are not feeling well, they cannot tell you when they have eaten something poisonous or hazardous to their health. 

Here are 8 foods that can be dangerous—even fatal—for dogs:

Almonds

Almonds, a type of tree nut, are toxic to dogs. This is because they contain prussic acid and hydrocyanic acid. 

These chemicals can cause stomach pain, vomiting, diarrhea and even death if ingested by dogs. 

If your dog has eaten any amount of almonds or almond butter you should call your veterinarian immediately so that they can determine whether or not treatment with activated charcoal will be required.

Chocolate

Chocolate is one of the most dangerous foods for dogs to eat. It is a stimulant, and contains caffeine and theobromine. 

Theobromine is a drug that affects the nervous system and heart rate, while caffeine causes blood pressure to rise and stimulates the central nervous system.

These factors can cause vomiting, diarrhea, or hyperactivity in dogs. In large doses, chocolate can be poisonous to dogs because it contains caffeine which affects their heart rate or can cause them to have seizures. 

Chocolate poisoning can also result in death if not treated immediately by a veterinarian as soon as symptoms are noticed.

Fat Trimmings

Fat trimmings can cause pancreatitis, a potentially life-threatening condition in dogs. If your dog eats fat trimmings and develops pancreatitis, he'll need immediate veterinary care to survive.

You should avoid feeding your dog fat trimmings from beef or pork as well as any other type of raw meat that's not clearly labeled "for human consumption" or "fit for human consumption."

To avoid giving your dog fat trimmings:

Keep them stored in the fridge; if you don't have room there, put them in the freezer instead. Once they're frozen solid (and out of reach), transfer them to an airtight container for storing in the freezer.

Grapes

Grapes are one of the most toxic foods for dogs. The seed of a grape can cause acute kidney failure in dogs, and even if you’re not seeing signs of toxicity immediately after your dog eats any grapes or raisins, it’s best to call your veterinarian right away and ask what they recommend.

If you notice that your pup has eaten grapes or raisins and is showing signs such as vomiting, lethargy, or diarrhea (more than usual), seeking immediate medical attention would be wise.

Onions and Garlic

Onions and garlic are some of the most dangerous foods your dog can eat. In addition to causing allergic reactions in dogs, both onions and garlic contain thiosulphate, a compound that damages red blood cells.

 As a result, the dog's red blood cells become less able to carry oxygen throughout the body. If enough damage occurs, it could cause anemia or even death.

Because of this potential risk, many pet owners are wary about giving their dogs onion-based treats. 

It's important for owners to be aware of exactly where ingredients come from before feeding them to their pets; if you don't know what goes into your food (or don't want your dog eating it), then don't give it to him!

Raisins and Currants

If you have some leftovers from last night's dinner, it's probably best to keep them away from your dog. 

While many people think that raisins and currants are safe for dogs to eat in small amounts, those small amounts can add up quickly if your dog is a big fan of raisin-based desserts. 

These dried fruits—which are often used to add sweetness to recipes—are high in sugar and calories, which can cause an upset stomach for both humans and dogs.

These crunchy little guys also contain tannins that are toxic to dogs when ingested in large quantities. 

Tannins can cause vomiting or diarrhea in dogs with sensitive digestive tracts; they're also known as "antinutrients," meaning they interfere with digestion by binding minerals like iron, zinc and calcium inside their bodies rather than allowing the mineral to be absorbed into their bloodstreams (they do this because they're trying to protect themselves against predators).

Sugar-Free Foods Containing Xylitol

The next time you go to the grocery store, keep an eye out for the following ingredients:

Xylitol 

A sugar substitute found in many sugar-free foods and candies, xylitol is toxic to dogs. In fact, it's even more dangerous than chocolate for them! If a dog eats enough of this stuff, it can cause a sudden drop in blood sugar, which can lead to liver failure or brain damage.

Sorbitol

Sorbitol and mannitol are also bad news if your dog eats them—they're both artificial sweeteners that could cause stomach upset and diarrhea or constipation.

Yeast Dough

Yeast dough can cause anemia, respiratory problems, gastrointestinal problems and skin problems in dogs. If a dog ingests yeast dough it can also lead to neurological issues like seizures and muscle tremors.

Some types of yeast dough may contain raw eggs which can cause salmonellosis in dogs that eat them.

Salmonella is a bacteria that causes diarrhea in humans and animals alike, but it is more severe for animals as they cannot vomit their food like humans do when they have food poisoning or other stomach illnesses such as salmonella.

Be Careful While feeding Your Dog

As a pet owner, you know that dogs are not the best at reading labels or understanding what is good for them. 

They will eat anything that smells good, even if it is harmful. Your dog cannot tell you when they have eaten something poisonous or hazardous to their health, and they do not understand the concept of moderation when it comes to food.

The best way to protect your pup from eating dangerous foods is by keeping them away from all items not labeled as edible by humans. Farm to Pet Chicken and Turkey Chips are the best human-grade dog treats on the market (in our honest opinion!). 

You should also keep an eye on what other people are feeding your dog just in case someone decides to feed them something that may be toxic or harmful in any way.

The most important thing is to be aware of what your dog gets into, whether it's food or not. Dogs are curious creatures by nature and it can be difficult to keep them from eating something they shouldn't. If you think your dog has eaten something questionable, always contact your veterinarian immediately. Even if you aren't sure, it's better to be safe than sorry!

Treat you Curious Creatures next week!


Leave a comment

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.